The UPS at my remote site went down taking down all servers. After bringing up the DC first and then Exchange, Exchange was giving event id 2601, 2604, 2501 every 15 minutes.
I ran NLTest /DSGetSite from Powershell (you can use command prompt as well) and it gave the following: Default-First-Site-Name. This is correct so why is Exchange complaining. I restarted the Exchange Active Directory service which in turn restarts all the Exchange Services but this did not stop the 3 errors being logged.
I checked MS site and found the article below where you add a new Registry key, i added the key and rebooted my Exchange Server. After the reboot no errors were reported again and Exchange was running perfectly.
One thing I did notice was before the change that the Exchange Edge Service did not start automatically, I had to manually go and start it but once the work around was in place the Service started without any errors.
Article for the adding the Registry Key:
I installed updates and rebooted my DC in a remote site only to find out that terminal services was ended but the actual server did not reboot.
I ran shutdown -i from another machine and got the famous reply: 1115 A system shutdown is in progress.
I tried various switches to no avail. I then connected with SCCM to the console and saw that the Shutdown was stuck on “Notifying Services of the Shutdown”.
I then found a command line to use that reboots the machine in 60 seconds:
taskkill /s \\somepc /U administrator /P pass /im lsass.exe
Maybe not the best tool but when you in another country it is pretty difficult to just go and hard boot the server. Hope it helps.
As part of my cleanup and decommission of Small Business Server 2003 I installed RRAS on my Windows Server 2012 DC. First thing I did was to give the server a bit more memory, being a virtual server quite easy to do. Second thing was to add additional NIC’s to the server for RRAS to use.
Here are the steps:
1. Open up Server Manager, click the manage button and select the Add Roles and Features Wizard.
2. Click Next until you get to the Server Roles section. Once there check the Remote Access checkbox and click Next.
3. Follow the prompts until the wizard completes.
4. Once finished you have to configure RRAS. The steps are straight forward.
5. Once done RRAS is installed and running.
I connected from my machine using a 3G card and tested RRAS. I was immediately connected, a bit faster than the old connection, all services that I work on like Mail, RDP etc. was fully functional.
For reference you can look at this technet article:
Today I installed a new Anti-Virus product on my Exchange Servers, ESET.
The nice thing with ESET is that it automatically sets exclusions as it detects what is installed, so on my servers Exchange, IIS and Windows Server exclusions were set.
However, Microsoft recommends the following to be set on the exclusion list:
Microsoft released the updated version of this Rollup a few days ago. I have installed it in my lab where I initially had Rollup 5 i installed and after rebooting all the DAG related errors and Topology errors have disappeared and Exchange 2010 is now as happy as can be again.
Lets hope with future Rollups we wont run into problems like this.
Today i decided to move my DHCP from the old Small Business Server 2003 as their is no longer support for this version of Windows and moving it to a newer OS will be better. The move was pretty straight forward, you can look at the link below, i successfully exported the DB, installed the DHCP role on Windows 2008 R2 and reimported the DB without any errors. All my reservations and leases were still in place.
I then unauthorized DHCP on SBS 2003 and removed the role. I then rebooted one of my notebooks and let it renew its IP, that was successful as well. Hope it helps anybody else who is trying to move roles.
After doing SP1 beta update for SCCM 2012 i still had no reports showing. I went and checked the SSRS log and found the following error in the log file:
The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
(!) SRS not detected as running SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Failures reported during periodic health check by the SRS Server <SCCM-Server>. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Waiting for changes for 1 minutes SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
I went and checked the SQL reporting configuration and found i had product version 10.50.1600.1 which is the RTM version and not supported. I installed SP1 for SQL and then logged into the reporting URL and i had reports. All i needed to do was then add permissions to the SQL account, after that i refreshed SCCM reports and all the reports started pulling through.
So much to just get reports working 🙂
Decided to upgrade SCCM 2012 to SP1 beta. Thought it should be a relatively easy process until the installation of ADK. The deployment kit downloads over 3GB of data which takes a while on a slow connection.
Once the download completed the installation started for all the components of ADK. Installation got to about 80% and failed. The installation is then rolled back with a strange message: “Could not acquire priviledges; GLE=0x514”
I went and checked the installer folder and it was blank as well as looking at the log files i got the same message but saw that the error stated the file was corrupt.
I manually downloaded 165 files from MS and then installed the files one by one. After that SCCM upgrade went through without a problem.
So today i went to install reporting services for SQL 2008 R2 and came across the following error when trying to add an additional feature in the SQL setup: “The instance ID is required but it is missing”.
So i tried copying the media to the server and selecting it from Programs and features and still the same error.
I downloaded SQL Express 2008 R2 with Advanced features, ran the setup from this file and i was able to add the Reporting Services role.