Today I installed a new DPM 2012 server. The installation went through fine and all backups were running well until the upgrade to SP1. Seems like a small bug as all my replica’s were inconsistent after applying the upgrade.
I uninstalled the DPM Agent, rebooted the DPM server plus the server where the Agent was installed and nothing.
Digging a bit deeper I came across this error: ID 53 – The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion (0x800t041D). I also checked the event log and no VSS writer information was being logged, DPM was saying it was running but nothing was actually happening.
Copied VssRequestor.dll from any of the servers that had the Agent installed to the DPM server (“C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin\VssRequestor.dll”)
I then ran a consistency check and voila backups were back in progress.
Hope it helps.