Backup Metadata enumeration failed Sharepoint 2013/DPM 2012

Microsoft released RU3 for DPM 2012 SP1. Finally I was able to upgrade the DPM Agent on SharePoint 2013 as I kept getting an error when trying to Protect SQL.

The updated agent installed fine, first initial sync when perfect until it finished with the above error.

Here are the steps I did to fix it:

  • Reran ConfigureSharePoint.exe -EnableSharePointProtection and entered the same account as the Farm account in SharePoint.
  • “c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\BIN\stsadm” -o registerwsswriter (run this from an elevated prompt)

hope it helps

Advertisements

SharePoint 2013 User Profile Import error

Today I came across the following error below logged almost every 2 min in event viewer.

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob threw an exception. More information is included below. Generic Error.

Upon investigation I found that the 2 FIM Services (ForeFront Identity Manager) were disabled in the Services MMC as well as in SharePoint. I set them to automatic and started the first one which is the FIM service, the FIM Syncronization service then starts as well.

Refresh the services in the SharePoint 2013 and all will be fine.

After that no more errors were logged in event viewer

Hope it helps

Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5. Access is denied

Today I came across a problem whereby some users could print but others the print job goes through but then nothing happens.

Upon investigation in the log file located: Event Viewer\Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\PrintService, I got the error above for the users that could not print.

I enabled write access for the handful of users to the following folder and they were able to print again: system32/spools/printers

Hope it helps

Exchange 2013 CU1 to CU2 Upgrade

Today I downloaded the latest CU (CU2) forExchange Server 2013. There are a number of fixes in this release and to install it is pretty straight forward but there are a few things to take note of:

a) You need to run a Schema Update
b) You need to run an AD Update
c) Best practice to put the servers into Maintenance Mode.

Maintenance Mode:

Run the following 4 commands to put the server into maintenance mode.

1. Set-MailboxServer <servername> -DatabaseCopyActivationDisabledAndMoveNow $True
2. Set-ServerComponentState –Identity <servername> –Component HubTransport –State Draining –Requester Maintenance
3. Suspend-ClusterNode –Name <servername>
4. Set-MailboxServer –Identity <servername> –DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Blocked

Right, so if you don’t do step A & B the setup just stops and gives you the error that you need to prepare the Schema. So simply open up a command prompt as Administrator, Navigate to the setup files you extracted earlier on and run the following:

a) Setup.exe /PrepareSchema /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

This update takes a few minutes, once that is done lets move on to the next update

b) setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

This update also takes a few minutes. Once done we can now run the full setup. At the command prompt you still have open type in Setup and press enter.

Wait a few seconds and the GUI will open. Follow the prompts and sit back and wait a while for the setup to complete. There are 17 steps to run through in this setup.

Once finished you need to reboot your server. Lastly after the reboot you will need to run 4 commands to take the server out of Maintenance mode again.

1. Set-MailboxServer –Identity ServerName –DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted
2. Resume-ClusterNode –Name ServerName
3. Set-ServerComponentState –Identity ServerName –Component HubTransport –State Active –Requester Maintenance
4. Set-MailboxServer –Identity ServerName –DatabaseCopyActivationDisabledAndMoveNow $False

Now you can do the next server. One thing I picked up after this was that one of my databases content index state was giving the error “FailedandSuspended”. To fix this error simply run the following command in Exchange PowerShell.

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy <databaseName>\<ReplicaServerName> -SourceServer <ActiveServerName> -DeleteExistingFiles:$True

More reading on the release of Exchange 2013 CU2:
http://windowsitpro.com/blog/exchange-2013-rtm-cu2-makes-its-appearance

Hope it helps

SharePoint Server 2013 June CU

I upgraded my SharePoint Server to the latest June update today. It is a massive hotfix download 1.8GB.

The install is pretty straight forward, after you have downloaded the file you extract it to a folder.

I normally open SharePoint Powershell as Administrator and then navigate to the folder where I extracted the CU.

Installing the update takes about 2-3 hours, obviously depending on you hardware. After that you need to run the SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard to actually upgrade to this update.

Do take note that you cannot install the June CU if you have not applied the March CU.

After the update has completed and all services are started your site should be operational once again.

Hope it helps

Lync 2013 Control Panel – Microsoft silverlight is not installed or is blocked by security settings

So today I needed to add a new user and modify recording settings for all users and I encountered the error above. Simple fix is that IE settings block Silverlight.

To fix this open up IE Options -> Security -> Internet -> Custom

You need to ensure that Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins is set to Enabled. Once that is enabled then you can close the Lync Control Panel and open it again and you are able to login.

Hope it helps