Failed to connect to the configuration database when adding server to SharePoint 2013 farm

Today I installed a new SharePoint 2013 Server to add to my existing farm.

I installed SQL and all the prerequisites for SharePoint, rebooted a couple of times.

After all the installs I installed the April 2014 CU for SharePoint as the second server needs to match the existing one.

The install takes a little while but all was successful. When I launched the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard and chose to connect to the existing farm I was presented with the error below:

sharepoint product configuration

When I tried to open the data base of the existing server on this server from SQL Management Studio I was presented with the follow error:

  • The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context.

In Active Directory, I opened the computer record for the Database server. In the attribute list, the servicePrincipalName attribute showed the following entries:

Delete the two MSSQLSvc entries as well as the RestrictedKrbHost entries. Restart the DB server and the problem should be resolved.

Hope it helps

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s