SCOM is quite a big installation and I thought I would put something together to help the community out, here is the guide:
Active Directory Setup:
Create the following accounts/Groups in Active Directory.
- DOMAIN\OMAction (Action account)
- DOMAIN\OMData (Data Access service account)
- DOMAIN\SQLUser (SQL service account)
- DOMAIN\OMAdmins (Operations Manager Administrators security group)
Add the “OMData” and Action account to the “OMAdmins” Group.
Add your account or any other member that is going to administer SCOM to the “OMAdmins” group.
Prerequisites List (SCOM Server):
- Install Server 2012 OS
- Join server to the domain
- Install all windows updates so the server is fully patched.
- Install SQL 2012.
- Install Microsoft System CLR Types for SQL Server 2012.
- Install the Report Viewer controls.
- Add the “OMAdmins” domain global group to the Local Administrators group.
Download links for Report viewer and System CLR Types:
Windows Features Requirement:
Run the following from Powershell (run as Administrator):
- Add-WindowsFeature NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,Web-Static-Content,Web-Default-Doc,Web-Dir-Browsing,Web-Http-Errors,Web-Http-Logging,Web-Request-Monitor,Web-Filtering,Web-Stat-Compression,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Metabase,Web-Asp-Net,Web-Windows-Auth -Source D:\sources\sxs –Restart
- Replace D:\ Above with your servers drive letter that has the Server Media.
Install SQL Server
- Install the features as selected above, optionally you can install the Management tools.
- **NB** Make sure you Collation is set correctly or SCOM will not install.
- Collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
- Once installed make sure that you set the Maximum Server Memory (you need SQL Management tools), you need need a minimum of 2GB of Ram, Recommended is 4GB or higher.
- Also ensure that your SQL Server Agent service is started.
Install Microsoft CLR Types for SQL Server 2012 SP1
- Click Next and then Finish.
Install Report Viewer Controls
- Click Next and then Finish.
Install System Center Operations Manager R2 (SCOM)
- Right click the Setup file in the installation directory and choose “Run As Administrator”. A screen as shown above will come up.
- Make sure that the option “Download the latest updates to the setup program” is ticked and then click Install.
- Screen comes up when you check for online updates.
- Select the top 3 features as shown above, do not install the Reporting Server yet.
- Click the Next button.
- If any warnings or errors appear they will show under Management Server.
- Click Next to continue the setup.
- Enter a Management Group name that is Unique. I used SLabTest as my name.
- Enter the Server Name and Instance, the setup will display a green wheel while it’s thinking, once it has found and verified the name click Next. If there is a problem it will give you an error about the instance name.
- Choose the web site, I leave it default. If you want SSL then click the checkbox “Enable SSL” and then click Next.
- Choose the authentication mode and then click Next.
- Enter in the accounts you created in beginning with their passwords and click Next.
- You will get the following warning if you used a Domain Administrator Account. This is a lab so I used an account with full access.
- Make your choice and click Next.
- Summary of configuration (some info removed), click the Install button to proceed.
- Installation in progress. Sit back and relax.
- When finished all the options will show a green tick. If not you will get a warning/error and you need to review the logs for failure.
After the installation do a reboot.
Make sure that all SQL services are started and all SCOM services.
Launch SCOM you will see this screen:
Install Reporting Server for SCOM.
- Double click the setup file again and go through the initial steps. Once you get to the Feature section only select Reporting Server and click Next.
- Type in Management Server name and click the Next button.
- Select an instance from the drop down and click Next.
- Enter the details of the account you created earlier or an account that has access to reporting.
- Installation Summary, some information removed but it will display the Management Server, Reporting Server and its instance and the Data Reader Account.
- Once the installation is complete you will get this screen above.
- Next, it is time to configure reporting.
If you open up SQL Reporting Services you can setup the account with access, the reporting URL etc.
Once you click on the Reporting URL you will be shown the following page.
- If SQL Reports are working correctly the screen above will show.
If we launch SCOM now and go to the reports console you should see reports.
Hope it helps.