SQL 2008 R2 SP1 installation failure

Installing of SCOM 2012 has some requirements and one of them being SQL. I ran the install for SQL and when I tried to install SP1 for SQL 2008 R2 it failed with the following error:

  • ” A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair for instance ‘MSSQLSERVER’. In order to apply this patch package, you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.”

So I went to Programs and Features and ran a repair on SQL. Upon getting to 80% of the repair it gave this error:

  • “The following error has occurred: The process cannot access the file ‘C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll’ because it is being used by another process.
  • Click ‘Retry’ to retry the failed action, or click ‘Cancel’ to cancel this action and continue setup.”

So I checked and all services were stopped. The fix is to stop the Windows Management Intrumentation Service and all the dependencies. After that the repair will go through successfully and you will now be able to install SP1 for SQL.

Hope it helps

Advertisements

SharePoint 2013: Unified Logging Service Event ID:2159

After a nice festive season I came back to thousands of errors logged in event viewer for the above error:

Seems like this error only started occurring after the recent windows updates released. Never the less you can need to check if Named Pipes is enabled in SQL Configuration and you can run the following command in SQL Management Studio:

USE master
GO
GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO “Domain\UserAccount”
GO

The errors should stop being logged in the application log.

Hope it helps

SQL 2008 R2 Error – Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Default appdomain failed to initialize.

Today out of the blue I received this error for SQL Reporting Services on SCCM 2012.

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Default appdomain failed to initialize.
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ServiceAppDomainController.Start()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

When you try and start the Reporting Services it gives a warning saying some services start and then stop…….

My suspicion was that SQL was running on a trial version but Event Viewer was not giving me that info. I restarted the server and after logging in I then got the error that it had. Ran the upgrade for SQL to Standard and the service started.

Hope it helps

SCCM 2012 SP1 Upgrade SQL Error

Today I ran the SP1 upgrade for SCCM 2012. The first thing you come across is that you need ADK installed for SP1. The download is around 4GB, the first error I came across was when ADK was about 61% done, it failed with an error, user not currently allocated.

I cancelled the setup and moved the machine to a Container in AD that had no policies. Rebooted the machine and ran ADK install again. This time it succeeded.

Next error I got was that SQL needed to be on a static port. Upon opening SQL Configuration I got the following error:

SQLServerConfigerror

 

Seems like a bug in SQL though…To fix this open up an elevated prompt and type in the following:

mofcomp.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof”

After running this I was able to open SQL Configuration and enable TCP for that selected instance.

Hope it helps.

System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Reports

After doing SP1 beta update for SCCM 2012 i still had no reports showing. I went and checked the SSRS log and found the following error in the log file:

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
(!) SRS not detected as running SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Failures reported during periodic health check by the SRS Server <SCCM-Server>. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Waiting for changes for 1 minutes SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT

I went and checked the SQL reporting configuration and found i had product version 10.50.1600.1 which is the RTM version and not supported. I installed SP1 for SQL and then logged into the reporting URL and i had reports. All i needed to do was then add permissions to the SQL account, after that i refreshed SCCM reports and all the reports started pulling through.

So much to just get reports working 🙂