SQL 2008 R2 Error – Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Default appdomain failed to initialize.

Today out of the blue I received this error for SQL Reporting Services on SCCM 2012.

Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Default appdomain failed to initialize.
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ServiceAppDomainController.Start()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

When you try and start the Reporting Services it gives a warning saying some services start and then stop…….

My suspicion was that SQL was running on a trial version but Event Viewer was not giving me that info. I restarted the server and after logging in I then got the error that it had. Ran the upgrade for SQL to Standard and the service started.

Hope it helps

SCCM 2012 Reports – No Items Found

Today I wanted to run a few reports and went to SCCM and it returned the famous page “No Items Found”. Checked the Component Status, everything was happy. Checked the logs, no errors found.

Removed the Reporting Services Role, restarted the machine, reinstalled the Role and still “No Items Found”

I then tried re-registering the SQL MOF files and this fixed my problem. I uninstalled the Reporting Services Role, opened up an elevated prompt and ran the following command:

mofcomp.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof”

I then re-installed the Reporting Services  Role, checked all the statuses and watched event viewer and no issues reported. I then opened up Reports and voila, i had 422 reports.

Hope it helps

SCCM 2012 Client Updates – Waiting to Install

Today I prepared a new notebook and after joining it to the domain the SCCM client automatically installed as it should.

However after the install and reboot all updates that were needed and available pulled correctly to the client however the updates were stuck in the status above “Waiting to Install”

I checked the SCCM logs on the client and no errors were reported. I changed the boundaries on SCCM from Active Directory to Subnet, rebooted the client and once SCCM on the workstation had started up again all updates installed and verified.

Hope it helps

SCCM 2012 SP1 Upgrade SQL Error

Today I ran the SP1 upgrade for SCCM 2012. The first thing you come across is that you need ADK installed for SP1. The download is around 4GB, the first error I came across was when ADK was about 61% done, it failed with an error, user not currently allocated.

I cancelled the setup and moved the machine to a Container in AD that had no policies. Rebooted the machine and ran ADK install again. This time it succeeded.

Next error I got was that SQL needed to be on a static port. Upon opening SQL Configuration I got the following error:

SQLServerConfigerror

 

Seems like a bug in SQL though…To fix this open up an elevated prompt and type in the following:

mofcomp.exe “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof”

After running this I was able to open SQL Configuration and enable TCP for that selected instance.

Hope it helps.

SCCM 2012 Client stuck at 0% when downloading updates

Today I came across all servers and clients in my organization not downloading windows updates from SCCM 2012. There was about 17 updates and all stuck on 0%.

I changed the boundary settings on the SCCM server from AD to IP subnet, removed all the updates that were released previously and re-deployed them again. Once I did this the clients were downloading and installing updates again without an issue.

Hope it helps.

System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Reports

After doing SP1 beta update for SCCM 2012 i still had no reports showing. I went and checked the SSRS log and found the following error in the log file:

The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
(!) SRS not detected as running SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Failures reported during periodic health check by the SRS Server <SCCM-Server>. SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT
Waiting for changes for 1 minutes SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT

I went and checked the SQL reporting configuration and found i had product version 10.50.1600.1 which is the RTM version and not supported. I installed SP1 for SQL and then logged into the reporting URL and i had reports. All i needed to do was then add permissions to the SQL account, after that i refreshed SCCM reports and all the reports started pulling through.

So much to just get reports working 🙂

System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 Beta Upgrade

Decided to upgrade SCCM 2012 to SP1 beta. Thought it should be a relatively easy process until the installation of ADK. The deployment kit downloads over 3GB of data which takes a while on a slow connection.

Once the download completed the installation started for all the components of ADK. Installation got to about 80% and failed. The installation is then rolled back with a strange message: “Could not acquire priviledges; GLE=0x514”

I went and checked the installer folder and it was blank as well as looking at the log files i got the same message but saw that the error stated the file was corrupt.

I manually downloaded 165 files from MS and then installed the files one by one. After that SCCM upgrade went through without a problem.

System Center Configuration Manager 2012 and Reporting Services

So today i went to install reporting services for SQL 2008 R2 and came across the following error when trying to add an additional feature in the SQL setup: “The instance ID is required but it is missing”.

So i tried copying the media to the server and selecting it from Programs and features and still the same error.

I downloaded SQL Express 2008 R2 with Advanced features, ran the setup from this file and i was able to add the Reporting Services role.